In November 2019, a young girl in China was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery after swallowing magnetic balls that tore holes in her stomach. The magnetic balls were given to the girl’s older brother as a gift, and she was alone when she consumed them. After surgery, the child is expected to make a recovery, but the incident could have easily turned deadly had her parents not sought medical help. It’s a cautionary tale that reminds parents to be mindful of their children’s toys and what can happen if a child gets a hold of a toy that’s designed for an older age group.
If you think what happened to this little girl is unlikely to happen to your children, think again. Every three minutes, a child in the United States is treated in the emergency room for a toy-related injury. You can help prevent your children’s risk of toy-related injuries by paying attention to the recommended age ranges listed on the toy’s package, watching with vigilance when your children are playing with certain toys, and by following the guidelines recommended by W.A.T.C.H, an organization designed to bring awareness of dangerous toys and promote safety. The organization issues a top 10 list of the world’s most dangerous toys each year. You can check out which toys made the 2019 list here.
The last thing we want is for your children to get hurt or worse while playing with their favorite toys. For their sake, pay attention to the toys you and loved ones buy for your kids. And if you do have a toy-related emergency, EliteCare is open right down the road 7 days a week so you don’t have to go too far to get help.