When men are feeling under the weather, they often don’t hesitate to call their doctor for an appointment. When men are healthy, however, visiting their physician for a wellness exam is usually the last thing on their minds. But like women, children and the elderly, it’s important for men who appear to be healthy to schedule an annual men’s health exam every year.
- Health screenings can save your life. Some conditions that can become serious don’t show any visible symptoms in early stages, including high blood pressure and high “bad” cholesterol. Both conditions are linked to heart disease, a leading health concern for men. Health screenings are also the best way to determine your risk for future health problems like type II diabetes. Screenings for common cancers in men, such as testicular cancer, are also performed during an annual exam.
- Annual exams keep you updated on immunizations. Vaccinations don’t end with childhood. After age 19, you should receive a Tdap booster for continued protection against tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis. People born after 1980 who have never had the chickenpox should also receive two doses of the varicella vaccine to prevent the risk of shingles. You should also receive a flu shot annually, even if you are not at high risk for influenza. Your doctor may recommend additional vaccinations depending on the state of your health.
- If you lead a high-risk lifestyle, an annual health exam is crucial to living a longer life. Men tend to lead a riskier lifestyle than women. Smoking, excessive alcohol use and unintentional injury due to recklessness are all common causes of disease and/or death in men, along with having unprotected sex. An annual exam can put you in check and put the brakes on poor lifestyle choices by making you aware of what they are doing to your health. Doctors can help you quit smoking and get you assistance with breaking free of drug, alcohol and sex addiction.
- Your physician can help you fight depression and other mental conditions. Depression and suicide are more commonly linked to death in men than women. Your doctor can work with a mental health professional to provide you the help you need. An annual exam is a great time to discuss your concerns with your physician.
- Annual health exams help you get to know your physician. Illness can strike us at any time and when it does, having a physician who knows you and your health history well becomes crucial.
June is Men’s Health Month and the halfway mark for the year–two great reasons to schedule your annual men’s health exam with Elite Care right now. Request your appointment here.